The Pride of the Northside 4 on 4 Streetball tournament is a 2 day full weekend event in the heart of North Edmonton Streetball culture: Londonderry Outdoor courts. The Tournament was created to uplift the community and to showcase the vibrant streetball and hip hop culture in Northeast Edmonton. Community Barbecue, musical performances, dance competitions, Live DJ, on-site Physiotherapy, 3 point and Slam Dunk Competitions; we do it all in the name of celebrating sport in the city of Edmonton. Every 3rd week of August since August 2009 this tournament has served as a fundraiser, block party, and basketball showcase in the city of Edmonton. This community event is more than a tournament and the participants are a part of a long tradition of community outreach. We are very excited to relaunch our tournament this August 13-14, 2022, after a 2 year hiatus. On behalf of our tournament staff: thank you to all participants, sponsors and volunteers. Welcome Back!
As a community we are about love, respect, loyalty and working together. From Castle Downs to Clareview, Namao to Fraser, we are a strong community.
Kids of all ages get chance to hoop in the heart of North Edmonton. Rather than our team explaining what the tourney means to our community, listen to the youth share their memories related to their expeirences at our annual tourney
You've watched the videos, you've attended before, or maybe this is your first experience with the North Edmonton Streetball culture, in any event click the link below to register your amazing team in our fantastic summer tournament!
It is with great pleasure that we announce a unique initiative that has taken months to bring to fruition. In collaboration with many local businesses, we are proud to announce the first ever Pride of the North: Community Market! As a child many of us grew up going to the Beaumaris flea market, Fort Road Market and Garden/Farmers markets. We as a tournament staff and a collective of local businesses want to bring that energy to our tourney August 13. In addition to the Market we are going to be donating proceeds in a fundraiser for local markets dedicated to the African/Caribbean community. Our community exemplifies the heart of the city in many ways, we are going to uplift many families with our market in August! In previous years we donated to the Stollery Children's Hospital, Jamaica Association’s shoe drive & various other communities & charities. This year we are dedicated to uplifting local community small businesses that were hit hard during the Covid 19 pandemic. We were inspired by other community markets hosted at schools/community leagues in Edmonton as well as our brothers and sisters out east and in the US that have successfully combined community support, fundraising & outreach. If you’d like to know more about the Pride of the North: Community Market, drop us an email, Register for the market HERE, stay tuned, and look forward to our website addressing all fundraising initiatives and community businesses supporting the 13th annual Pride of the North Tourney and Market.
The Pride of the Northside Staff is excited to have a 3 musician concert series from 12:30pm-1:00pm at the tournament grounds, on August 13, 2022. Our concert will take place during lunch hour activities and it will feature some of the best local talent in the city of Edmonton! Each performer will be hosting a set and our spectators and participants can enjoy a summer barbecue, the Pride of the North Summer Market, as well as the Slam Dunk and 3 point competitions that will take place immediately after the Live Concert Series.
Aliza, whos is one of our featured artists at the tournament has achieved great success in her music career. One of her biggest hits "Eyes Wide Shut" (featured above) enlists one of Edmonton's most prolific Reggae artists Oozeela, check out her video and click on the link below for her music catalogue.
The Streetball culture has its roots in the hip hop and R & B genres, we as a staff are thrilled to support 3 amazing artists from the City of champions!
The newest artist of the 3 performers is Ms. Jananie Sivakumar. She has released new music this year including the song "Great Escape" featured above.
All 3 of our musicians are local artists here in Edmonton and in addition to supporting local businesses, our tournament also desires to support local musicians that share our passion for hip hop, reggae, jazz, soul and R & B.
If you'd like to hear more of Jananie's music click on the link below! And also be sure to check out her album release party (September 3, 2022) for her newest EP "Grey".
Alain Intwali entered the music scene in a major way this year! Featured on numerous songs in Canada and overseas, his official launch will be August 12 (a day before his performance at Pride of the North)!
DJ January is no stranger to the music scene here in Edmonton Alberta. The son of highly acclaimed and award winning 30 year professional DJ (DJ GameGirl) has spent numerous years perfecting his craft while learning lessons from his mastermind DJ mother.
In 2021 Jaylin entered the scene with a flurry of beats, gigs, and collabs. But before that Jaylin had his first gig working alongside tournament director Andrew Parker at a Canada Basketball 3x3 Tournament hosted by Basketball Alberta.
His name is spoken with great respect here in the city of champions and you can find him spinning at various venues in Western Canada.
If you'd like to hear Jaylin's mixes please click on the link below and follow him on all social media platforms. He will be our OFFICIAL tournament DJ for the entire #prideofthenorth Weekend!
While you are enjoying your live concert series and just before the 3-point and Slam Dunk Competition we will be visited by one of Edmonton's finest Caribbean food catering businesses: Grahams' Jerkhouse. Neil Graham has been a constant supporter of the North Edmonton Community with his business being involved with multiple initiatives this year including: M.E.Lazerte Taste of Lazerte Festival, The Alberta Black Student Association & Friends Summit, Edmonton Public Schools Black History Month Events, and various other events in the city of Edmonton.
At our tourney this year players will be able to eat some of the finest Caribbean cuisine in Alberta. Jerk Chicken & Coleslaw are but a few of the items ballers and spectators can enjoy at this years event! Want to support Neil and his business?
Click on the link below.
1. HR: Muhsen, Ange, Iqitizi, Mustafa, Suhayb
2. The Spartans: TJ, Riak, William, Raphaiel, Emmanuel
3. John D Bracco Bruins: Dahir, Frank, Jesse, Biniam (Sponsored by coach Mr. Dakota Schmidt)
1. WEdothistoWin: Rafah, Caleb, Shaq, Hansel, Tony (Sponsored by Ms. Tovah Elniski)
2. M.E 2.0 (team 2) Diamond, Mustafa, Isaiah, Ajak (Sponsored by Ms. Nadia Brownie of BTA)
3. Strathcona High School Lords (Sponsored by Mr. Taylor Riar and Family)
4. TEAM ENHANCE: Cameron. Dylan, Tyler, Mawien, Mitchell
5. Wassa’s: Wol, Jayden, Runo, Dax, Nash
6. The Chosen 1's: Momoh, Karan, Noah, Kawach, Wol (Sponsored By Abel Asefaw and family)
7. FLME: Jaiden, Pom, Charles, Carter (Sponsored by Stasha Elniski)
8. OTF: Christian, Ify, Nathaniel, Kavishka, Samuel (Reserved by Mr. Sergio Texiera
9. Lazerte Heyworth: Jack, Ayham, Josh, Lesley, Zakariya/Osas (Sponsored by Coach Heyworth)
10. Strive for greatness: Yaphey, Natu, Pluto, Brian, Issac
1. The Lofters: Ashraf, Khalel, Junior, Rebek, Sully
2. Light em Up: Abdul, Dean, Bug, Oz, Henry
3. Da Youngins: Ammaar, Sakaria, Yusuf, Omar, Zakaria
4. ENBA (honoring (rip) Mr. Allan Ross): Dusty, Nikaeo, Julien, Myles, Brandyn
5. Young Bandits-Team Zaki: Adam, Omar, Awid, Keshon, Peter
6. Rocafellas: Amjad, Amin, Lado, Ajax,
* 3 rounds, for both the 18 and over dunk age group and the 18 and under age group
* Each player will be allowed 2 dunks per round, and the dunk must go through the net to be counted
* There is no time limit
* 4 dunk attempts will be allowed per round,
* After the second round the top 2 Dunkers will advance to the finals
*(Only 1 member from your team can participate in the 3 point competition, all other members must rebound the ball for your team's shooter)
* 3 rounds, for all ages, 13-15, 15-18, and 18 and over age groups
* 2 contestants will shoot at the same time on opposite ends of the court
* The person with the most points at the end of 1 minute advance to the next round
* The top 8 shooters advance to the next round, the top 4 from the top 8 advance to the next round and the top 2 shooters advance to the final round
Crowd Participation is a huge element of our tournament, we encourage all fans to help their teams by promoting great sportsmanship and teamwork. For each contest participants can have team mates pass them balls for alley oops and rebound their shots in the 3 point contest, family and friends can help out as well. We also encourage all fans to share the best highlights form the tournament to @andrewparkerap on Instagram, and @andrewparkeragp using the hashtag #NORTH13 For each event participants will receive a prize ranging from $100-$200 in value. Runner ups will get prizes as well.
1. Games will be played up to 16 points with each basket scored inside of the 3 point line being worth 1, and each shot taken behind the three point line being worth 2 points
2. There will be a 20-25 minute time limit for each game. If the game is tied after 25 minutes then the first team to score a basket wins.
3. Each player has unlimited fouls and cannot foul out the game
4. If a team commits 6 team fouls, one free throw is awarded for each foul after the 6th
5. Any foul made in the act of shooting will result in a foul shot. If a player makes the basket while in the act of shooting the player will get the point and a free throw as well, whether it’s a 2 pointer or a single point, they will receive the extra free throw in the act of shooting.
6. Each team is entitled to one (2 minute) time out per game.
7. Substitutions can be made at any dead ball situation in the game-but no subbing on the fly (i.e during play).
8. Technical fouls will result in 2 free throws and possession of the ball for the other team.
9. Championship games will go as follows: The 18 and over division will be played up to 25 points, no time limit. The middle and lower age groups will be played up to 25 points-with a 30 minute time limit. In the championship game (in all divisions), both teams will be entitled to 2 timeouts. All Awards for Champions and runner ups for all divisions will be given in an award ceremony after the 18 and over championship.
10. If you are not registered on a team in the tournament, you cannot play, under any circumstances. (i.e. if a team is missing players they cannot add new players, no exceptions,)
11. You must sign the referees-players sign up sheet, before you or your team can play each game. All players must sign the sheet as proof of team membership)
12. Teams are allowed 5 players, 4 must be present to play the game. If only 3 players are present at the start of the game, then both teams are allowed to play 3 on 3.
13. If only 2 players are present from a team, the team in question must forfeit the game. ****(only in extreme cases will tournament organizers reschedule the game, or adjust the rule, but only if the opponent agrees)
14. Once your team has been eliminated from the playoffs, no members from that team can join teams who have successfully advanced in the playoffs, (i.e. if your team lost in the quarter finals, you cannot join a team that advanced to the semis, no exceptions).
15. At any given point in time, The referee can pause the game (or take a 'referee's time out') to address issues they feel that are necessary to address. Any issues of disrespect towards referees or staff can result in ejection from the game, and subsequently from the tournament.
16. All Playoff games are single elimination.
17. Spectators cannot negatively interfere with other teams, staff or other spectators. If they are fans, friends or family related to the teams in question, and continually cause an issue they (as well as the team they are supporting) will be asked to leave the tournament grounds.
18. There is no “Over and back” rule. You may take a step or two from the half court line because the tournament courts are condensed.
*****(There will be Security on staff to monitor and ensure the safety of both the players and spectators of the tournament)*****
Parents, players, and basketball enthusiasts, if you prefer to download the tournament rules so that you can bring a copy to the tournament grounds August 13-14, click on the link below.
The Pride of the Northside 4 on 4 Streetball tournament is a 2 day full weekend event in the heart of North Edmonton Streetball culture: Londonderry Outdoor courts. The Tournament was created to uplift the community and to showcase the vibrant streetball and hip hop culture in Northeast Edmonton. Community Barbecue, musical performances, dance competitions, Live DJ, on-site Physiotherapy, 3 point and Slam and Competitions; we do it all in the name of celebrating sport in the city of Edmonton. Every 3rd week of August since August 2009 this tournament has served as a fundraiser, block party, and basketball showcase in the city of Edmonton. This community event is more than a tournament and the participants are a part of a long tradition of community outreach. If you would like to volunteer this year please email firstname.lastname@example.org and all volunteer opportunities will be shared directly to you.
Dear Potential Sponsors and Donors,
As an ambassador of North Edmonton, I am passionate about mentoring the next generation, and giving back to the community. Primarily this tournament is a grassroots initiative intended to bring together Edmonton’s basketball community, as well as its fans and supporters. Since the beginning of our tournament our sponsors have been and integral part of the delivery of this premier outdoor summer event. We graciously ask at this point for continued and new support from the city of champions. We award prizing to all 5 members of the top two teams in each division in forms such as: sports related clothing or equipment, store discounts, coupons, gift cards, funding for prizes, school supplies for Elementary, Junior High and High School Children, outdoor equipment, or grocery items for BBQ. Anything you can help us with would be a great service to us and please feel free to forward this information to anyone you feel would also be interested in helping with our cause. If you are interested in sponsoring a team in our tournament this year please email email@example.com and a sponsor package will be sent out to you , your business, or you organization.
Thank you very much and God bless.
The Pride of the Northside Staff